Monday, January 7, 2013

Addicted

I have a feeling that I am going to be doing a lot of confessing on this blog. So here’s confession number one. Hi my name is Kailey and I’m addicted to Diet Pepsi. First step is admitting you have a problem right? There should be a DPA. (Diet Pop Anonymous) But seriously, it’s addictive stuff. This all began on my mission in Puerto Rico. (Ironic right?) I had a companion who drank it a lot and I got into the habit too. (I’ll just blame it all on her) You’re tired all the time, so the caffeine was definitely welcomed. I came home and never gave up the habit, although I drank it much less. The amount I drank did increase over time. (tolerance much?) And now the habit has gotten a bit out of control, so it’s time to stop. I have quit numerous times before, the longest stretch started when we were trying to get pregnant, up until I had Lucas. (close to two years) Those bleary eyed first weeks with a newborn had me reaching for my beloved caffeine once again.

Image

I have heard a lot of different information about aspartame. The internet can be amazing…so much information at our finger tips. But it can also be horribly frustrating. Sometimes it feels impossible to find any real information! Of course there are two sides to the debate. One is that aspartame is safe. It’s been the most widely studied out of any new food additive out there, there have been no connections found between aspartame and health issues etc. Other side is that aspartame can cause brain tumors, hinders weight loss, can cause or exacerbate psychological or emotional problems, can cause birth defects, vision problems, brain damage and seizures. Yikes. Both sides can present equally convincing arguments, facts, and studies. So who do you believe?

One fact I wasn’t aware of is that aspartame was only approved for use in soft drinks in 1983. Before that it was only used as a powdered form. (and they were using it in baby food…what??) So really aspartame in pop is relatively new, which makes it difficult to study long term use in humans. Still everything can be so confusing. I think that our own intuition about things is important to acknowledge. Aspartame is a man made chemical. Are all man made chemicals bad for us? Probably not, but when it comes down to it, I really don’t feel good about my long term use of diet pop. There are many healthier things I could be ingesting, and I honestly think it takes a lot of work for our bodies to digest the chemicals we drink or eat. So I am going to give my body a break and say good-bye to my delicious concoction of aspartame and caffeine. I do expect that I’ll slip and have it occasionally. But like I said the daily fix I get right now just isn’t healthy. Hopefully my withdrawals won’t be too bad. (hello headaches and cravings!) So it’s more water for me…and probably more Crio. (A recent discovery that I’m going to post about too!)

Anyone else addicted to diet pop? Want to join in with me??

9 comments:

  1. I'm addicted to pop in general! Pepsi and Ginger Ale being my favorites. I will join you in giving them up. I'm trying to get back on the healthy wagon after baby #2. Here's hoping this will help! Thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pop but not really addicted. I'm addicted to caffeine and sugar. My weakness is chocolate and coffee! I will eat anything sweet and love desserts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm addicted to sweets too...I need a lot of work. haha

      Delete
  3. I like to say I'm not a pop drinker but secretly I am; or should I say I've become more of one. I used to never buy pop in flats from Costco to bring in my lunches or at a restaurant until I got married. My husband drinks it for energy and to stay awake as well since he works long days and water just doesn't suffice. So consequently I've also become a more frequent drinker of it. But I too want to start making eating healthy more a lifestyle than what it has been so, I appreciate that you are motivating me to do this by starting with cutting out pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I'm excited to have other people join in!

      Delete
  4. Kailey, I quit diet coke in August and haven't had so much as a sip since! It's funny because now the thought of it grosses me out completely! I don't miss the caffeine either which surprised me too! You can do it and you feel soo good when you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam you gave up our beloved Diet Coke?! Good job. Didn't we always have a can in our hands that year of University?? haha Hoping I can stick with it like you have!!

      Delete
  5. I found after YEARS of drinking pop I realized it's not the pop at all that I was addicted to, it's the carbonation. 3 years ago I bought one of those Soda Stream machines and drink carbonated water. Sometimes I even add fresh citrus to the drink. It keeps me satiated and I've never craved another soda since.

    ReplyDelete