Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Give It Up Already

Two things.

First, this article.


Yikes! I had no idea about caramel coloring before. Sounds scary!! Yet another reason to give up pop.

Second: This study


Seriously check it out. Things kind of sunk in for me. The lady that did the experiment is not a scientist, she’s just an author and did her own self funded study, so really she had nothing to gain (expect being able to write a good book) or loose. The only thing she did to these rats was added Splenda to their drinking water. To be fair, she added a lot of Splenda, but what happened to the rats is super scary. The thing about the experiment is that it’s very simple, could be replicated easily. The thought crossed my mind of having a rat lab in my house…not doable, and I would feel too bad for the rats!! This is probably one of the most convincing studies I have read about, and it’s really nothing fancy.

So if this doesn’t scare you away from artificial sweeteners I don’t know what will! So some honesty here, I am not completely off of diet pop. I don’t have it everyday, and if I do I have one can so I have cut back a ton. Baby steps people, baby steps.

We have been doing well on our clean eating regime, and so far has been great. I am noticing I have more energy, my cravings for less good food are diminishing. So I am doing something right.

I have a friend who is doing a 30 day Paleo challenge, and I’ve been throwing around the idea of trying it again. I am thinking it would probably have to wait until I’m back to work part time as I don’t want to overburden Caleb with all my crazy ideas!
Anyone here tried Paleo?

How are you all doing with your resolutions??

10 comments:

  1. So, I hadn't decided to give up my coke zero until 2 days ago. Partly, because I've thought off and on for a few years about it, partly from your recent info about it, and partly because my mom was experiencing numbing pain in her leg and arm occasionally. After chatting with some folks about it, she feels it's linked to high amounts of aspartame.
    So, Kailey, I am with you. I am going to do my darndest to not have coke zero anymore. I LOVE Perrier, so I will probably substitute my fizzy drink need with that.
    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's awesome Beth! I'm glad someone else is on board. I don't like Perrier, so I am going to have to look for something else as a substitute in the mean time. It was a lot easier to give up when I was pregnant!

      Delete
  2. I only very occasionally drink pop, one of those days being this past weekend. And as I grabbed one, I have admit I thought of your blog and felt horrible drinking it. Just thought I'd share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well I am here to make people feel horrible! haha. Just kidding. But it's good to be able to keep each other accountable.

      Delete
  3. Been fully paleo for close to 2 years now. You're always more than welcome to ask any questions of me you may have :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's amazing Breanne. Good job. I am sure if I decide to go that way again I will be asking your advice...again. :)

      Delete
  4. safeway has a really great lime flavored carbonated water. It's their brand, so it's pretty cheap. It's very yummy. I don't think there are artificial sweeteners. I'll have to check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes please check! I don't frequent Safeway so let me know!

      Delete
  5. Sweet, I am going on 17 days pop free. and 11 days of doing paleo and loving it. I seriously feel so "clean" and like you kailey the more I educate myself on foods, the less I want to put "crap" foods into my body because it almost makes me sick thinking about what they must be doing to me. Thanks for sharing all your research.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I checked the lime flavored water. Sadly, it has aspartame. There are lots of other options for carbonated flavored water without added sweeteners. Check your regular grocery store near the perrier and other drinks like that. I have found no coke zero easier because I have some carbonated waters on hand!

    ReplyDelete