Thursday, January 10, 2013

Slip

Ok...confession time!

 

I had a diet pepsi today. Even after convincing myself I didn't need it, even after texting a friend to talk me out of it, even though I had to walk across the street in the blizzard outside to get it. I had a huge headache, was feeling awful...and I broke down. Once I drank it I felt better...truly addicted. But at least I have cut down considerably right?? Harm reduction??? I know I'll get there...like they say in alcoholics anonymous...one day at a time. haha.

I did however eat clean all day. So I feel good about that. The whole part of this challenge was to be healthier, but I would however like to loose some of the excess weight I have gained. I have found I am eating  healthy, but eating a lot. If I want to loose weight, I may have to take a look at my portions, but one step at a time for now.

So something that is off of our families menu is dairy products. Caleb has had ongoing stomach problems for quite a while. He eventually got himself to the Doctor to see what was going on. She sent him for a series of blood tests...that lasted three hours! He also had Lucas with him...what a guy. The tests came back, and yep...he's lactose intolerant. What this means for him is he is to cut dairy/anything with lactose completely, and then eventually he can try to reintroduce some things and see how he does.

At first I wasn't too upset about the news. I didn't feel like I ate a ton of dairy products. (even though my nick name from my family in high school was Dairy Queen! I liked ice cream ok??) I am not a milk drinker, and I don't love yogurt. But since cutting it out, I have noticed the limitations. I love cheese, I LOVE sour cream...I seriously could just eat it with a spoon. It limits us in some ways, but it's worth it to have Caleb feeling better. So we are using almond milk, which is actually delicious, and we'll have to see how things go.

It seems intolerance to certain foods are much more common these days. I kind of suspect Lucas has a gluten intolerance. I don't feed him very much wheat, and when I do he gets sandy poops (TMI??) and his eczema flares up a bit. We don't eat wheat much, so it wouldn't be that bad to cut it out...in fact I may do so in the near future. (french toast will still have to happen occasionally)

Anyone else with lactose intolerance have any tips?

4 comments:

  1. Hey - It's Alana from Primary. I just saw your blog on Facebook! I would say you are doing SO good! Anyways, when I was nursing, Tracen reacted to dairy, and so I cut it out. I love dairy products and was pretty bummed. However, I felt a lot less bloated and now when I eat cheese and other things, I tend to eat a lot less. I drank coconut milk, and they have a lot of coconut milk products (yogurt, ice cream bars etc) and even carry them at Superstore these days. You can also use the coconut milk in the can to make whipped cream, and i would add some cocoa and freeze it for an ice cream kind of fix. Not sure how clean that would be, but so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alana! Coconut milk yogurt sounds so good, as does that treat! Thanks for the tips.

      Delete
  2. My lactose intolerance tip - read labels diligently. Since I've kept my house completely dairy free for the last 1.5 years, I'm more able to tolerate the little slip-ups and times I need to consume dairy (like when I'm dining at my parents house). Also, sometimes out of nowhere I just start to crave cheese and ice cream (still), so just have a dairy-fest one. Then I'm so sick, I'm solidly committed to being dairy for awhile again. It sounds crazy, but it works.

    And yes, coconut milk yogurt is good. I'm not a fan of soy and almond yogurt.

    My house is also (mostly) gluten-free. I'm not celiac but fairly intolerant. Again, keeping my house GF helps with when I eat elsewhere. If you're thinking about getting into GF baking at all, we can chat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They now even have coconut based ice creams. Just a caution about almond milk, I have done just a tiny bit of reading and Almonds are great but in low doses. They have a lot of Omega 6, which isn't great for you. So just dont be downing the almond milk and eating almonds at the same time. I think I read that on www.everydaypaleo.com. Not sure.
    I was giving oliver rice milk, but now I learnt rice is high on the glycemic index, so I have pretty much just gone back to a life of no milk. Which we are totally fine with. It has made Olivers ezcema better and I think less wheat is helping as he hasnt had a flare up in a while.

    ReplyDelete